Here’s a list of 15 things that healthy people do well and do often.
1) Drink lots of water – because its recommended that you have approximately half your weight of water in ounces, each and every day.
2) Limit packaged foods because these foods are full of empty calories, preservatives, colourings and other chemicals that wreck havoc on your body. Not to mention all that plastic wrap that ends up in our ecosystem and food chains!
3) Avoid GMOs at all costs! The way GMO foods are grown make them bad for you and the environment.
4) Avoid foods and drinks that contain artificial sweeteners. Among other damaging aspects, studies have shown that it may actually increase your appetite, causing you to eat more.
5) Healthy people hardly ever eat refined white flour, white sugar and high fructose corn syrup.
6) Healthy people get their carbohydrates from whole grains, root vegetables, whole fruits and leafy greens.
7) Cookbooks, not diet books, are in their kitchen.
8) Extreme ways of eating are avoided, because they know that diets don’t work.
9) Exercise regularly and for a reasonable amount of time. The type of exercise doesn’t matter as long as it gets your heart rate up, feels good and is consistent.
10) Eat 3 nutritious meals a day and may occasionally snack on nuts or fruit, but not always. Healthy people understand that time between meals is necessary to properly digest and assimilate the food consumed at each meal.
11) Eat foods of the highest quality. For example, they seek 100% grass fed beef, stay away from the dirty dozen and shop seasonally from their local farmers as much as possible.
12) Cook with healthy fats, such as grass fed butter or ghee, extra virgin coconut oil for high heat, and extra virgin olive oil for a light sautée.
13) Only eat breads (preferably sourdough) from the local baker who uses the best quality ingredients and ensures the bread is dense, nutritious and made with love.
15) Healthy people are socially connected, involved in their community at some level, and they definitely know some of their neighbours.
Now remember perfection is not possible, and I think Katharine Hepburn said it best:
“If you obey all the rules, you’ll miss all the fun.” ~ Katharine Hepburn